[Python-Dev] 2.6.3 unittest change breaks nose (issue 6418)

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Mon Jul 13 18:37:57 CEST 2009

jason pellerin wrote:
> Bringing python-dev into the discussion at Barry's request. The
> summary is that a recent change to unittest.TestProgram breaks nose by
> moving self.testRunner initialization from it's old home in
> TestProgram.runTests to TestProgram.__init__. The very small patch
> attached to the ticket moves it back to runTests.
>
> Here's the ticket: http://bugs.python.org/issue6418
> And a link to the testing in python list discussion:
>
> http://lists.idyll.org/pipermail/testing-in-python/2009-July/002032.html

This is fixed on the Python 2.6 maintenance branch (revision 73997) but
needs fixing on trunk. No problem applying the fix but I'm struggling to
test this without causing spurious extra output on stderr. The style of
dependency injection used means that merely overriding sys.stderr does
nothing and a custom stream can't be used as we want to test the default
initialisation behavior.

Michael Foord

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog