[Python-Dev] PEP 376 - Open questions

Eric Smith eric at trueblade.com
Thu Jul 9 05:28:53 CEST 2009

> Eventually, I'd like PEP 376 to support system packagers too. So for
> example, if you did "apt-get install python-pyqt4", then running "pip
> install python-pyqt4" should return without installing anything .. as
> RECORD will be part of the .deb previously installed. As for generating
> the RECORD file, I vote for generating it during install time (w/
> absolute paths).

I think we should explicitly not support this. What if pip and apt-get
(or rpm, or others) install the same package in different places because
of system conventions (/usr vs. /usr/local vs. /opt, say)? There's no
way we're ever going to get this right, and it's not worth complicating
our lives over it.

Seriously: Is there some real world use case I'm missing? Does any
existing install system support this?