[Python-Dev] Mercurial migration: progress report (PEP 385)

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Jul 7 15:26:20 CEST 2009

Brett Cannon wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 07:51, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>
>> Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
>>> more feedback, a progress report. I know it's long, I've tried to put
>>> to keep it concise and chunked, though.
>> Two things:
>>
>>  * We need some form of documentation of how committers are expected
>>   to work with the hg repo. (This is also missing for the Subversion
>>   repo, which due to the 3.x branch has gotten somewhat unclear - at
>>   least for me)
>>

> I am planning to get a version of the dev FAQ written up that covers most of
> what it already does now for svn.
>

>>   It is currently not clear where to check in patches, whether and
>>   where to backport or forward-patch, which branches to consider
>>   closed, etc.
>>
>>   E.g. if I check in something in trunk/ (Python 2.7), do I have to
>>   forward patch this change to the 3.0 branch (guess not), the py3k/
>>   branch (Python 3.1), or will someone else take care of this, so that
>>   it's better not to interfere by doing it myself ?
>>

> This question is partially answered by
> http://www.python.org/dev/faq/#how-do-i-merge-between-branches, but I agree
> that we should have either this spelled out in the FAQ or a
> committer-specific doc at www.python.org/dev/ that makes this all very
> obvious.

The merge process itself is more or less clear. What I'm missing
is the agreed upon strategy for applying the patches to the various
branches.

I've seen a few discussions about this, but no final statement
of what strategy to follow and whether hg makes this easier (AFAIR,
that was the main argument for switching to hg).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jul 07 2009)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/