[Python-Dev] PEP 376 - Open questions

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Jul 7 10:40:12 CEST 2009

On 6 Jul, 2009, at 20:38, Paul Moore wrote:

> - Should distribution names be case insensitive on case insensitive
> filesystems? For comparison, module/package names are always case
> sensitive even on case insensitive systems.

I'd then go for case sensitive names for distributions as well, just
to be consistent. But isn't the actual name in the PKG-INFO file anyway?

Do you mean really case insensive filesystems like DOS' FAT, or case
preserving (HFS+ on OSX, NTFS on Windows)? For the latter you can at
least get the original name back using os.readdir.

BTW. Actually determining if you are working with a case-sensitive
fileystem requires filesystem access, os.path.normcase is hopelessly
naieve in that respect.  I'm reguarly dealing with NFS mounted
filesystems on OSX systems, which means that parts of a path are case
preserving (the HFS+ filesystem upto the mount point) and other parts
are truly case sensitive (paths on the NFS mounted filesystem
originating on a Linux server).

Ronald