[Python-Dev] PEP 376 and PEP 302 - allowing import hooks to provide distribution metadata

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 17:53:01 CEST 2009

2009/7/6 Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>:
> why can't we just go ahead and continue the work as we started with PEP 376,
> introducing your work on PEP 302-like behavior.
>
> Then if we get a consensus on this PEP and introduce it in 2.7/3.2,
> setuptools will have to follow this consensus.

Essentially, because when I ask questions, responses along the lines
of "you have to do it like X because setuptools does that" come back,
and (not being a setuptools user) I can't tell whether there's a valid
reason in there.

I'm uncomfortable assuming that setuptools experience is irrelevant,
but I can't distinguish between valid arguments and "setuptools can't
change" arguments.

I need to write another email with a list of outstanding open issues.
If we can thrash them out *without* getting bogged down in setuptools
compatibility questions, then I think we can move forward again. I'll
do that this evening.

Paul.