[Python-Dev] PEP 376 and PEP 302 - allowing import hooks to provide distribution metadata

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 15:13:13 CEST 2009

2009/7/4 Brett Cannon <brett at python.org>:

>> P.S. +lots on using 'metadata' in the PEP 376 method names rather than
>> the jargon 'egginfo'. Jargon isn't always bad, but using it seems fairly
>> gratuitous in this case.
>
> Ditto from here. Plus I have an aversion to terminology that goes down the
> reptile route instead of the Monty Python route.

If it turns out that we use PEP 302-like loaders, I am also suggesting
that the default metadata directory name
used in Distutils is changed to "DIST_NAME.metadata".

The loader would still work with "DIST_NAME.egg-info" directories for
compatibility with
existing format in the query APIs, but the Distutils install command
would rather create  "DIST_NAME.metadata"