[Python-Dev] Python 3.0.1

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 09:33:19 CET 2009

Just my 2 eurocents:

I think version numbers communicate a couple of things. One thing the
communicate is that if you go from x.y.0 to x.y.1 (or from x.y.34 to
x.y.35 for that matter) you signify that this is a bug fix release,
and that the risk of any of your stuff breaking is close to zero,
unless you somehow where relying on what essentially was broken
behavior.

It's also correct that a .0 anywhere indicates that you should wait,
and that a .1 indicated that this should be safer.

Of course, you can end up where these two things clash. Where you need
to make a major change that breaks something, but you at the same time
don't want to flag "Yes, this will be as bugfree as you normally would
expect from a .1 release." My opinion is that in that case, the first
rule should win out. Don't make potentially incompatible changes in a
minor version increase. So it seems to me here that a 3.0.1 bugfix
release, and then a 3.1 with the API changes and C IO is at least the
type of numbering I would expect.