[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] Merging to the 3.0 maintenance branch

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 14:02:19 CET 2009

Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan <at> gmail.com> writes:
>> Doing "svn resolved ." assumes that you did everything else correctly,
>> and even then I don't see how svnmerge could both backport the py3k
>> changes to the metadata and make its own changes and still get the
>> metadata to a sane state.
>
> The metadata are discriminated by source merge URL. That is, the py3k metadata
> are of the form "/python/trunk:<list of revisions>" while the release30-maint
> metadata are of the form "/python/branches/py3k:<list of revisions>". (*)
> I guess that's what allows svn to not shoot itself in the foot when merging.

Ah, thanks - that's the piece I was missing regarding why the svn
resolved trick works (I have used that approach before and checked it as
you did - as Martin has pointed out, the only time it definitely goes
wrong is if you do an update *after* doing the local merge and the
update included other backports).

So I'll chalk the fact that svnmerge emits that false alarm up to a
deficiency in the tool and only use the "regenerate the metadata"
approach when I suspect I may have done the merge+update in the wrong
order (since it's a harmless thing to do - it just wastes a couple of
minutes relative to the svn resolved approach).

Cheers,
Nick.