[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] Merging to the 3.0 maintenance branch

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 13:38:13 CET 2009

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> There are potential problems with doing it that way [1]. The safer
>> option is to do:
>>
>> svn revert .
>> svnmerge merge -M -F <py3k-rev>
>
> I still don't see the potential problem. If you do svnmerge, svn commit,
> all is fine, right?

Sort of. svnmerge still gets confused by the fact that the revision
being backported already has changes to the svnmerge metadata, so you
have to either revert it (which is always wrong), or flag it as resolved
(I believe that svnmerge actually does get that case right, but I
haven't checked it extensively - since if it does get it right, I don't
understand why it leaves the conflict in place instead of automatically
marking it as resolved).

Regardless, the consequences of forgetting that you did the svn up after
the merge instead of before (e.g. if it took some time to get the
backported version working, or if something interrupted you between the
initial backport/update and the final test and commit step) are fairly
hard to clean up, so I prefer the safe approach (despite the extra
minute or two it takes for svnmerge to recalculate the metadata changes).

Cheers,
Nick.