[Python-Dev] 3.0.1/3.1.0 summary

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Jan 30 05:44:16 CET 2009

Brett Cannon wrote:
> This is my attempt to summarize what everyone has been saying so we
> can get this resolved.
>
>>From what I can tell, most people like the idea of doing a 3.0.1
> release ASAP (like "in a week or so" fast) with the stuff that should
> have been removed from 3.0.0 in the first place removed.
>
> People also seem to support doing a 3.1 release April/May where new
> stuff (e.g. io in C, new shelve back-end for sqlite3) is introduced to
> the rest of the world. This timeline has the benefit of allowing us to
> do an alpha release at PyCon and puts us at a six month release cycle
> which does not portray 3.0 or 3.1 as rushed releases.
>
> The sticky points I see are:
>
> 1. Barry, who is the release manager for 3.0.1, does not like the idea
> of the cruft that is being proposed removed from 3.0.1. Personally I
> say we continue to peer pressure him as I think a new major release is
> not like our typical minor release, but I am not about to force Barry
> to go against what he thinks is reasonable unless I am willing to step
> up as release manager (and I am not since I simply don't have the time
> to learn the process fast enough along with just a lack of time with
> other Python stuff).

While I prefer cruft removal now, I will, for the same reason, accept
and use whatever whatever Barry delivers.

> 2. Do we label 3.0.x as experimental? I say no since it isn't
> experimental; we basically had some bugs slip through that happen to
> be compatibility problems that were overlooked. I for one never viewed
> 3.0.x as experimental, just not the best we could necessarily do
> without more input from the community and our own experience with 3.x
> in general.

It is normal for true x.0 releases to be slightly flakey.  Experienced
users typically wait for x.1 (or SP1) releases for building production
systems.  I understand that 'normal' is below Python's usual high
standards, but it is not a tragedy ;-).

> Let's see if we can get these two points squared away so we can get
> 3.0.1 in whatever state it is meant to be in out the door quickly.

+1

Terry