[Python-Dev] pprint(iterator)

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 00:13:41 CET 2009

On 2009-01-29 08:20, Aahz wrote:

> The reason I'm chiming in is that I would welcome a PEP that created a
> __pprint__ method as an alternative to special-casing.  I think that it
> would be generically useful for user-created objects, plus once you've
> added this feature other people can easily do some of the grunt work of
> extending this through the Python core.  (Actually, unless someone
> objects, I don't think a PEP is required, but it would be good for the
> usual reasons that PEPs are written, to provide a central place
> documenting the addition.)

I think it's worth looking at Armin Ronacher's pretty.py for a starting point.

   http://dev.pocoo.org/hg/sandbox/file/tip/pretty

I've been using it as my default displayhook under IPython for a few weeks now.
It uses a combination of a function registry and a __pretty__ special method to
find the right pretty printer.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."