[Python-Dev] Python 3.0.1

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Jan 29 04:22:46 CET 2009

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> "Martin v. Löwis" writes:
>  > > It might also be a good idea to take the download link off the front
>  > > page of python.org: until that happens newbies are going to keep coming
>  > > along and downloading it "because it's the newest".

By that logic, I would suggest removing 2.6 ;-)
See below.

>  >
>  > It was (and probably still is) Guido's position that 3.0 *is* the
>  > version that newbies should be using.
>
> Indeed.  See Terry Reedy's post.

When people ask on c.l.p, I recommend either 3.0 for the relative
cleanliness or 2.5 (until now, at least) for the 3rd-party add-on
availability (that will gradually improve for both 2.6 and more slowly,
for 3.x).  I expect that some newbies would find 2.6 a somewhat
confusing mix of old and new.

tjr