[Python-Dev] Python 3.0.1

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Wed Jan 28 00:35:48 CET 2009

Raymond Hettinger schrieb:
> [Martin]
>> I would fear that than 3.1 gets the same fate as 3.0. In May, we will
>> all think "what piece of junk was that 3.1 release, let's put it to
>> history", and replace it with 3.2. By then, users will wonder if there
>> is ever a 3.x release that is any good.
>
> I thought the gist of Guido's idea was to label 3.0.1 as 3.1 to emphasize
> the magnitude of differences from 3.0.   That seemed like a good idea
> to me.  But I'm happy no matter what you want to call it.  The important
> thing is that the bugfixes go in and the half-started removals get finished.
> I would like the next release (whatever it is called) to include the IO
> speedups which will help remove a barrier to adoption for serious use.

FWIW, I completely agree here.

> I do hope the next release goes out as soon as possible.  I use 3.0 daily
> and my impression is that the current version needs to be replaced as soon
> as possible.

That's important to note: I do not use Python 3.x productively in any way,
other than trying to port a bit of a library every now and then, and I expect
that many others here are in the same position.  In these matters, we should
give more weight to what *actual users* like Raymond think.

It's a great thing that we actually got 3.0 out, and didn't stall somewhere
along the way, but the next step is to make sure it gets accepted and used,
and doesn't get abandoned for a long time because of policies that come from
the 2.x branch but might not be healthy for 3.x.

Georg