[Python-Dev] Python 3.0.1

Kevin Jacobs <jacobs@bioinformed.com> bioinformed at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 21:32:00 CET 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org>wrote:

> At the moment, there are 4 release blockers for 3.0.1. I'd like to see
> 3.0.1 released soon (within the next month.) It would fix the hugest
> mistakes in the initial release most of which have been done committed
> since December. I'm sure it would be attractive enough with the nasty
> bugs fixed in it! Let's not completely open the flood gates.
>
> Releasing 3.1 in March or April also sounds good. I will be at least
> at the first day of sprints.

As an interested observer, but not yet user of the 3.x series, I was
wondering about progress on restoring io performance and what release those
improvements were slated for.  This is the major blocker for me to begin
porting my non-numpy/scipy dependent code.  Much of my current work is in
bioinformatics, often dealing with multi-gigabyte datasets, so file io fast
is critical.  Otherwise, I'll have to live with 2.x for the indefinite
future.

Thanks,
~Kevin