[Python-Dev] PEP 374 (DVCS) now in reST

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Jan 26 05:46:35 CET 2009

Michael Foord writes:

 > > If I can't choose a clear winner I am going to look into what it take
 > > to run directly on top of svn to avoid the extra step for committers.

 > Well, that sounds like an ideal situation to end up in. Is there a
 > downside other than the work it creates for you?

I'm with Brett, the extra work for him is more than downside enough.

But over and above that, the various DVCSes have different strengths
and weaknesses, and their proponents have different mental models of
how DVCS is "supposed" to work.  I believe this is reflected to a
great extent in their capabilities, creating great friction to trying
to work with a different VCS from the "native" one of the master
repositories.  You just end up using a buttload of extra CPU cycles to
achieve a Subversion-based workflow.

The big advantage, IMO, to going to a DVCS for the master repo is that
you can start with the same workflow currently used, and gradually
adapt it to the capabilities of the more powerful tools.  If we don't
do that, the workflow will never really change, and the project-wide
advantages of the tools will be lost.