[Python-Dev] Changes needed for python-2.6.spec to build successfully

Patrick Toal ptoal at takeflight.ca
Sun Jan 25 23:05:41 CET 2009

Hello,

I'm not subscribed to this list, but this is the best place I could
think of to send this.  Please feel free to ignore if this has already
been addressed, or if I've approached it completely wrong.

When trying to perform an rpmbuild  of the python-2.6.1 tarball on my
CentOS 5.1 system using the included python-2.6.spec file, I ran into
a bunch of vexing problems.  My solution to them is included in the
diff to the specfile attached.  Some of these fixes are probably not
appropriate for everyone (eg: my need for shared libs, vs static).

I hope this saves someone else a bit of time. :)