[Python-Dev] compiling python2.5 (msys+mingw+wine) - giving up using msvcr80 assemblies for now

Roumen Petrov bugtrack at roumenpetrov.info
Fri Jan 23 23:48:56 CET 2009

[SNIP]
>>> No, Python 2.5 is linked with msvcr71.dll.
>>  ehn? i don't see that anywhere in any PC/* files - i do see that
>> there's a dependency on .NET SDK 1.1 which uses msvcr71.dll
>
> Take a look at PCbuild/pythoncore.vcproj. It says
>
>         Version="7.10"
>
> This is how you know VS 2003 was used to build Python 2.5, which
> in turn links in msvcr71.dll.

Luke, the python MSVC build assume equivalence between MSVC compiler and
  runtime, i.e. if compiler is version X the runtime is version Y.
This is not try for GCC(mingw) build. This compiler is more flexible and
allow build against different runtimes. But you know this - I already
comment issue870382 in the patch.