[Python-Dev] PEP 374 (DVCS) now in reST

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Jan 23 23:10:45 CET 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 13:39, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/1/23 "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>:
>>> Brett mentioned in his email that he wasn't ready to make a decision yet, I
>>> think? I also think that the PEP could still use some modifications from people
>>> who have more experience with the DVCSs.
>>
>> My question really was whether it is already ready for the wider
>> audience up for discussion (and if so, what it is that should be
>> discussed). It seems that it's not the case, so I just sit back and wait
>> until its ready.
>
> That's the impression I got - until Brett reaches the point of "Call
> for rebuttals", he's not looking for input (other than factual
> corrections of the capability and scenario sections).

That's right.

> I'm not sure I'm
> comfortable with sitting back and waiting to quite that extent (I'm
> *already* biting my tongue over some of Brett's comments with which I
> strongly disagree), but I'd rather not have the PEP dissolve in a
> flamewar before Brett has a chance to study things better.

It's going to dissolve anyway. I am just trying to keep it to a single
situation instead of having to go over it multiple times.

> I appreciate the need for a considered, logical evaluation, but I'm
> not sure keeping the lid on the impassioned arguments is going to make
> them any less likely to explode when they finally do happen.

I know it will explode. I am just trying to save myself the time of
not having to reply to the flood of emails that I know will come
before I have finished even thinking things through. It's like people
asking questions during a presentation that happen to be strongly
affected by the next slide; you can ask, but you might as well wait
until all the info is presented to start talking.

-Brett