[Python-Dev] Should ftplib use UTF-8 instead of latin-1 encoding?

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.pp.ru
Fri Jan 23 21:24:57 CET 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 11:54:38AM -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> AFAIK, Apache is in the same boat as ftp servers.  You're thinking of
> the encoding inside of the files.  The problem is with the file names
> themselves.

   Mostly yes. But Apache is so powerful I can do (and really did) a lot of
tricks - I can change LC_CTYPE with mod_env, I can map URLs to the
filesystem using mod_rewrite/ScriptAlias...
   FTP servers don't need to be that smart, but I'd like them to be more
configurable WRT filename encoding.
   But well, they are not, so the only thing to discuss is what to do with
ftplib and pyftpd. My not so humble opinion is - either use bytes instead
of strings or use latin-1 because it is the straightforward encoding that
preserves all 8 bits.

Oleg.
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru