[Python-Dev] PEP 374 (DVCS) now in reST

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Jan 23 19:40:02 CET 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 07:30, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> Brett, thanks for putting this PEP together!

Yep. Just make sure I don't do something like this for a LONG time.
Apparently I didn't learn my lesson after the issue tracker migration.

> On Jan 23, 2009, at 3:39 AM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>
>> Somebody will have to make a decision. Ultimately, Guido will have to
>> approve the PEP, but it might be that he refuses to make a choice of
>> specific DVCS. Traditionally, it is the PEP author who makes all
>> choices (considering suggestions from the community, of course). So
>> what DVCS do the PEP authors recommend?
>
> Brett, perhaps you should publish a tentative schedule.  Milestones I'd like
> to see include
>
> * Initial impressions section completed
> * Call for rebuttals
> * Second draft of impressions
> * (perhaps multiple) Recommendations to Guido and python-dev
> * Experimental live branches deployed for testing
> * Final recommendation
> * Final decision

I think you just published the schedule, Barry. =) Seriously, though,
I have several other commitments that take precedent over this PEP so
I don't feel comfortable locking down any dates.

> My understanding is that a final decision will /not/ be made by Pycon.

It's doubtful, but would be nice by then. What I will do is eliminate
a contender by/at PyCon.

-Brett