[Python-Dev] compiling python2.5 (msys+mingw+wine) - giving up using msvcr80 assemblies for now

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Jan 23 08:22:16 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 10:16 PM, Mark Hammond <skippy.hammond at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23/01/2009 7:01 AM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>>>
>>> That doesn't really matter, I guess. An extension module build by your
>>> port will either fail to load into the regular Python (if
>>> libpython2.5.dll is not found), or load and then crash (because it uses
>>> a different copy of the Python runtime). Likewise vice versa.
>>

>>  excellent, excellent that's _really_ good - and here's why:
>>
>>  if it is _guaranteed_ to crash, regardless of what i do (because the
>> copy of the python runtime is different), then it _doesn't_ matter
>> what version of msvcrt i link the mingw-built python runtime with,
>> does it?
>
> I'm very confused about this: It seems you started this work precisely so
> you can be compatible between MSVC built Python's and mingw builds

 yeah that's where i _started_ - and after being on this for what
nearly eight days straight i was hoping to get away with as little
extra work as possible.

> - ie,
> this thread starts with you saying:
>
>> this is a fairly important issue for python development
>> interoperability
>
>  - but now you seem to be saying it is actually a *feature* if they don't
> work together?

 *sigh* no, that was me getting confused

>>   and if _that's_ the case, i can stop fricking about with msvcr80 :)
>
> If all you are doing is trying to get a version of Python working under Wine
> that isn't compatible with MSVC built binaries, I can't work out why you are
> fricking around with msvcr80 either!

 ha ha :) existence of PCbuild8 is the main reason :)  that and
getting the wrong end of the stick.

 i'll get there eventually.