[Python-Dev] Should ftplib use UTF-8 instead of latin-1 encoding?

Giampaolo Rodola' billiejoex at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 03:13:27 CET 2009

Hi,
while attempting to port pyftpdlib [1] to Python 3 I have noticed that
ftplib differs from the previous 2.x version in that it uses latin-1
to encode everything it's sent over the FTP command channel, but by
reading RFC-2640 [2] it seems that UTF-8 should be preferred instead.
I'm far from being an expert of encodings, plus the RFC is quite hard
to understand, so sorry in advance if I have misunderstood the whole
thing.
Just wanted to put this up to people more qualified than me.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/pyftpdlib
[2] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2640.txt

--- Giampaolo
http://code.google.com/p/pyftpdlib