[Python-Dev] compiling python2.5 (msys+mingw+wine) - giving up using msvcr80 assemblies for now

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu Jan 22 21:01:16 CET 2009

> That doesn't really matter, I guess. An extension module build by your
> port will either fail to load into the regular Python (if
> libpython2.5.dll is not found), or load and then crash (because it uses
> a different copy of the Python runtime). Likewise vice versa.

 excellent, excellent that's _really_ good - and here's why:

 if it is _guaranteed_ to crash, regardless of what i do (because the
copy of the python runtime is different), then it _doesn't_ matter
what version of msvcrt i link the mingw-built python runtime with,
does it?

 am i right?

 and if _that's_ the case, i can stop fricking about with msvcr80 :)

 which would be an absolute godsend because msvcr80 under wine is a
frickin nightmare.  the python regression tests pretty much hammer the
daylights out of wine and it's squeaking in all sorts of weird places.
 adding in msvcr80, an undocumented transparent "blob" into the mix
just makes getting this port fully operational all the more difficult.

i'd like to avoid that :)

l.