[Python-Dev] compiling python2.5 (msys+mingw+wine) - giving up using msvcr80 assemblies for now

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu Jan 22 20:39:40 CET 2009

> version. I hope that users will understand that it is disjoint from
> the python.org version (as they seem to understand fine for the
> Cygwin build, which already picks up its extension modules also from
> a disjoint location, which helps to keep the two separate).

 yes i made the default installation location (--prefix=) c:/python2.5
_not_ c:/python25 but obviously it _has_ been necessary to make the
installation of modules into the exact same _style_ of location as the
msvc build, because it has obviously also been necessary to use
PC/getpathp.c not getpath.c

 so, .pyd modules will get installed in
c:/python2.5/lib/site-packages/ and most importantly they'll get
_looked_ for in there!  for a while, they were being installed in
c:/python2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages which was a bit of a mess -
that's the "unix" style of module locations.  getpathp.c looks for
"Lib/os.py" whilst getpath.c looks for "os.py"

there's a whole _stack_ of knock-on effect little things like that.

l.