[Python-Dev] PEP 3142: Add a "while" clause to generator expressions

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Mon Jan 19 20:29:31 CET 2009

On 1/19/2009 6:51 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:

> The other, posted by Steven Bethard, is that it fundamentally breaks the
> current semantics of abbreviating (except for iteration variable
> scoping) an 'equivalent' for loop.

The proposed syntax would suggest that this should be legal as well:

for i in iterable while cond:
    blahblah

or perhaps:

while cond for i in iterable:
    blahblah

A while-for or for-while loop would be a novel invention, not seen in
any other language that I know of. I seriously doubt its usefulness
though...

Sturla Molden