[Python-Dev] PEP 3142: Add a "while" clause to generator expressions

Gerald Britton gerald.britton at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 17:37:23 CET 2009

Sure:  Say I implement the sieve of Eratosthenes as a prime number
generator.  I want some primes for my application but there are an
infinite number of primes.  So I would like to write:

    prime = (p for p in sieve() while p < 1000)

instead of:

    import itertools
    prime = takewhile(lamda p:p<1000, sieve())

to get the primes under 1000.