[Python-Dev] Help! Vista symlinks and IDLE

Jeff Hall hall.jeff at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 23:30:41 CET 2009

I'm glad someone sent this out... I was having this EXACT problem today

I've got it installed on my wife's computer and I'm certain that it worked
when I first installed 3.0a but it stopped working (I didn't update Python
but my wife has done several Vista security updates)... Hopefully, that will
help in the bug tracking for this.

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 5:02 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>wrote:

> Apparently, if you install Python into a localized
> version of \Program Files on Vista (such as \Programas,
> or \Programmer), IDLE fails to start; see
> http://bugs.python.org/3881
>
> Apparently, Tcl cannot properly initialize on such a system,
> and apparently, this is related to these folders being
> symlinks.
>
> It would be good if anybody who has access to such a system
> can diagnose what the specific problem is, how to reproduce
> it on a system that has the English version of Vista
> installed, and preferably, how to solve the problem.
>
> Regards,
> Martin

Haikus are easy
Most make very little sense