[Python-Dev] report on building of python 2.5.2 under msys under wine on linux.

Roumen Petrov bugtrack at roumenpetrov.info
Sat Jan 17 16:16:58 CET 2009

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
[SNIP]
> i'm going to _try_ to merge in #3871 but it's... the prospect of
> sitting waiting for configure to take THREE hours to complete, due to
> /bin/sh.exe instances taking TWO SECONDS _each_ to start up does not
> really fill me with deep joy.

As from version 1.1.8 msys bash could be run in wine. May be wine issue
12046 is not enough to run a born shell in wine. The ash from pw32
projects (not updated in past 6 years :( ) work in wine but the problem
is same - it is to slow, even more.

[SNIP]
> it's all a bit odd - it still feels like things are being
> cross-compiled... but they're not... it's just that setup.py has paths
> that don't _quite_ match up with the msys environment...

You could use CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS to point other locations.
Usually wine drive Z: is mapped to filesystem root and visible as /z in
msys.

[SNIP]
> the regression testing is _great_ fun!  some of the failures are
> really quite spectacular, but surprisingly there are less than
> anticipated.

About 5 test fail in emulated environment due bugs in emulator.

May be some math tests fail. Python math tests are too strict for msvcrt
7.0/6.0 (default runtime). Simple work around is to use long double
functions from mingwex library.
Other work-around is to build whole python (including modules) with
msvcrt 9.0 but I'm not sure that I will publish soon technical details
about this build as "DLL hell" is replaces by "Assembly hell" (see
python issues related to vista and MSVC build).

[SNIP]
Roumen