[Python-Dev] Deprecate PyNumber_Long?

Mark Dickinson dickinsm at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 09:53:02 CET 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 10:42 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> Assuming we have been moving the C API usage to PyInt and not PyLong,
> then yes it makes sense.

Hmm.  I don't think there's been any such move.  Maybe there
should be.

Benjamin wondered aloud about deprecating PyNumber_Long
in the issue 4910 discussion;  I suggested deprecating
PyNumber_Int instead, but on reflection I think Benjamin's right:
it seems neater to keep the PyNumber_Int <-> int() <-> nb_int
naming connections than the PyNumber_Long <-> PyLong
ones.

At any rate, I think it would be good to deprecate one or the
other;  I don't really have a strong opinion about which one.

Mark