[Python-Dev] Support for the Haiku OS

scott mc scottmc2 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 08:23:04 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 4:10 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> I'm with Martin. In these days of distributed version control systems,
> I would think that the effort for the Haiku folks to maintain a branch
> of Python in their own version control would be minimal. It is likely
> that for each new Python version that comes out, initially it is
> broken on Haiku, and then they have to go in and fix it. Doing that in
> their own version control has the advantage that they don't have to
> worry about not breaking support for any other minority operating
> systems, so I expect that all in all the cost will be less for them
> than if they have to submit these patches to core Python; and since
> that will definitely be less work for core Python, I would call that a
> win-win solution.

Guido,
Thanks for your feedback on this.  We'd be ok with keeping track of
Haiku specific patches in the HaikuPorts svn as you suggest.  If we
come across things we feel can apply to python as a whole and not just
Haiku specific then we'll feed just those changes back to python.
Ideally we'd get to the point though that each new version of python
"will just work" on Haiku.
-Scott McCreary
HaikuPorts