[Python-Dev] socket.create_connection slow

Kristján Valur Jónsson kristjan at ccpgames.com
Wed Jan 14 22:40:19 CET 2009

Aha, thanks, since my wireshark wasn't working.
I boiled a few pints of water (thanks, Google) and came up with this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175523

Here is the summary:
Note that with other implementations of TCP, such as those commonly found in many UNIX systems, the connect() fails immediately upon the receipt of the first ACK/RST packet, resulting in the awareness of an error very quickly. However, this behavior is not specified in the RFCs and is left to each implementation to decide. The approach of Microsoft platforms is that the system administrator has the freedom to adjust TCP performance-related settings to their own tastes, namely the maximum retry that defaults to 3. The advantage of this is that the service you're trying to reach may have temporarily shut down and might resurface in between SYN attempts. In this case, it's convenient that the connect() waited long enough to obtain a connection since the service really was there.

Yet another "undefined" thing affecting us, Martin.

Kristján