[Python-Dev] Is raising SystemError during relative import the best solution?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Jan 8 20:25:07 CET 2009

So it turns out that if you try to do a relative import where a parent
is not loaded, it raises a SystemError. This has been in there since
Guido added package support back in the day. But this seems more like
an ImportError than a SystemError to me. My guess is that the original
purpose was to signify someone specified some relative import name
without the proper stuff to make the name resolve to what it should
be. But that to me is still an ImportError as the name came out wrong,
not that the system did something incorrectly.

So I would like to propose to remove the SystemError and make it an
ImportError. Anyone object?

-Brett