[Python-Dev] Fixing incorrect indentations in C files (Decoder functions accept str in py3k)

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Jan 8 13:19:02 CET 2009

On 2009-01-08 12:36, Kristján Valur Jónsson wrote:
> Oh dear. C code indented by spaces?
> I'll give up programming then.
> Just set your editor tab size to 4 and all is well.

I know this is flame bait, but TABs are 8 spaces in Python land :-)
and most C files in Python that contain TABs and mix them with
spaces rely on this.

BTW: I don't blame anyone for the mixup - some editors simple
go ahead and convert 8 spaces leading whitespace into TABs
without the user knowing about this... after all, white on white
looks all white in the end ;-) (there are even some steganographic
systems out there, applying this scheme to embed data into
text files).

In any case, I think I need to remind people of PEP 7: Style Guide
for C Code ...

    http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0007/

It already says: "At some point, the whole codebase may be
converted to use only 4-space indents."