[Python-Dev] Decoder functions accept str in py3k

Collin Winter collinw at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 01:01:55 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 10:57, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> [SNIP]
>> BTW: The _codecsmodule.c file is a 4 spaces indent file as well (just
>> like all Unicode support source files). Someone apparently has added
>> tabs when adding support for Py_buffers.
>>

> It looks like this formatting mix-up is just going to get worse for
> the next few years while the 2.x series is still being worked on.
> Should we just bite the bullet and start adding modelines for Vim and
> Emacs to .c/.h files that are written in the old 2.x style? For Vim I
> can then update the vimrc in Misc/Vim to then have 4-space indent be
> the default for C files.

Or better yet, really bite the bullet and just reindent everything to
spaces. Not every one uses vim or emacs, nor do all tools understand
their modelines. FYI, there are options to svn blame and git to skip
whitespace-only changes.

Just-spent-an-hour-fixing-screwed-up-indents-in-changes-to-Python/*.c-ly,
Collin Winter