[Python-Dev] Decoder functions accept str in py3k

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Jan 7 19:57:23 CET 2009

On 2009-01-07 19:32, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg <mal <at> egenix.com> writes:
>> No, that's something I explicitly readded to Python 3k, since the
>> codecs interface is independent of the input and output types (the
>> codecs decide which combinations to support).
>
> But why would the utf8 decoder accept unicode as input?

It shouldn't.

Looks like the codecs module codec interfaces were not updated
to only accept bytes on decode for the Unicode codecs.

BTW: The _codecsmodule.c file is a 4 spaces indent file as well (just
like all Unicode support source files). Someone apparently has added
tabs when adding support for Py_buffers.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 07 2009)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/