[Python-Dev] Decoder functions accept str in py3k

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Jan 7 16:46:40 CET 2009

That depends a bit on how much code we find that breaks as a result.
If you find you have to do a big cleanup in the stdlib after that
change, it's likely that 3rd party code could have the same problem,
and I'd be reluctant. I'd be okay with adding a warning in that case.
OTOH if there's no cleanup to be done I'm fine with just deleting it.

A -3 warning should be added to 2.6 about this too IMO.