[Python-Dev] another Python Bug Day?

bcannon at gmail.com bcannon at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 00:40:32 CET 2009

On Jan 6, 2009 3:18pm, Simon Cross <hodgestar+pythondev at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 9:47 PM, Brett Cannon brett at python.org> wrote:
>
> > This is a years-old problem that is not going to be fixed overnight
>
> > (unfortunately). But it is known and is being worked on (moving to a
>
> > DVCS, writing up docs on the development process to cut down on bad
>
> > patches, etc.).
>

> It's encouraging to hear that it's been worked on. I assume the idea
>
> is that eventually leiutenanents will maintain their own Python trees
>
> in a similar way to what happens with the Linux kernel currently?

No because Python is not developed with much sense of ownership like the
Linux kernel; no one owns the dict object or all of the object code. And
this is not about to change either. While some modules have obvious owners
(eg I would defer to Raymond for itertools stuff if I wasn't sure of the
best solution), the code base overall is considered "owned" by all of
python-dev equally.

> An interim solution that occurred to me is to give a few more people
>
> enhanced access to the issue tracker

We have slowly started to do this although we could probably expand this
more than we have.

> and to create a
>
> ready-for-committing keyword that these new issue wranglers could
>
> apply to bugs that have patches and which they think are ready for
>
> committing.

Already done; the Stage field takes care of this with the "commit review"
stage. It also makes it more clear what is needed which could be helpful
for Bug Days. If people feel comfortable writing tests, for instance, they
could (theoretically) just look for issues at the Test Needed stage. But
the field is so new that it is not consistently used yet. Probably going to
need the docs on how the issue workflow is supposed to work before that
happens.

> Actual committers could then come along and search for the
>
> given keyword to find things to examine for committing. This would
>
> also act as testing ground for potential developers -- once committers
>
> feel that the patches an issue wrangler approves really are
>
> consistently good enough, they can consider promoting the issue
>
> wrangler to a full developer.

Right, that is one of the hopes of having more people have the Developer
role on the issue tracker. This process just needs to get written down
(which I am slowly doing; see http://www.python.org/dev/setup/ as the start
of the docs I plan to write to document all of this).

-Brett