[Python-Dev] ParseTuple question

Kristján Valur Jónsson kristjan at ccpgames.com
Mon Jan 5 11:41:02 CET 2009

Funny, I was just looking at this code.
Anyway, whenever I need Unicode stuff as an argument, I use this idiom:
PyObject *uO;
PyObject *uU;
Py_UNICODE *u;
If (!PyArg_ParseTuple(args, "O", &uO)) return 0;
uU = PyUnicode_FromObject(uO);
if (!uU) return 0;
u = PyUnicode_AS_UNICODE(uU);

There is no automatic conversion in PyArg_ParseTuple, because there is no temporary place to store the converted item.  It does work the other way round (turning a Unicode object to a char*) because the Unicode object has a default conversion member slot to store it.
It should be possible to augment the PyArg_ParseTuple to provide a slot for a temporary object, something like:
PyArg_ParseTuple(args, "u", &uU, &u)