[Python-Dev] I would like an svn account

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 01:41:19 CET 2009

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 9:28 AM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 16:06, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>>> Do any of the DVCS under consideration satisfy that requirement?  I
>>> guess I'm asking whether you think all this talk about DVCSes is futile
>>> or premature?
>>
>> I still do hope that Debian releases lenny before any of this advances.
>> This would mean
>>
>> bzr 1.5
>> git 1.5.6
>> mercurial 1.0.1
>>
>> I don't have the experience with any of them to be able to tell whether
>> they are good enough.
>>
>> A year ago, the revision numbers were
>>
>> bzr 1.0
>> git 1.5.4
>> mercurial 0.9.5
>>
>> Again, I don't know these packages well enough to understand what
>> these numbers mean. I know for bzr that apparently bzr 1.0 is considered
>> unsuitable for anything, so this would be ruled out.
>>
>> For git, 1.5.4 vs. 1.5.6 doesn't look too frightening, so the software
>> appears to be in good shape. For Mercurial, the 1.0 release was made
>> in March 2008, which might meet the "one year" criteria before this
>> discussion is over.
>>
>> I know that when switching to Subversion was discussed, there was
>> opposition on grounds of subversion still being too young, and indeed,
>> it took more than a year from the start of the discussion until the
>> switch was made. I do think Subversion was mature since 1.0, which was
>> released in Feb 2004; PEP 347 was written in August 2005; the switchover
>> happened in Oct 2005.
>>
>> So I think I will be fine if the software that I use has been mature
>> for a year. From what I've heard, bazaar might not qualify (apparently,
>> there were recent protocol changes); it seems that git would qualify.
>> Whether mercurial is mature, and for how long it had been, I don't
>> know.
>>

> Bazaar has been backwards-compatible with everything from my
> understanding, so any changes they have made to the repository layout
> or network protocol they use should not be an issue regardless of what
> client or server versions are being used.

It is not true in my experience: it is backward compatible, yes, in
the sense that you can often manage to get out of the situation, but
with some extra work. I would consider myself a relatively
knowledgeable bzr user (I have been using it for more than 2 years now
for almost all my projects, before switching to git), and I had
several times some problems with it. The ML occasionally also have
quite a few people having problems.

David