[Python-Dev] I would like an svn account

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Jan 4 01:39:44 CET 2009

> Bazaar has been backwards-compatible with everything from my
> understanding, so any changes they have made to the repository layout
> or network protocol they use should not be an issue regardless of what
> client or server versions are being used. As for the version number,
> the team does monthly releases, so it has nothing to do with stability
> and more with their timed release schedule.

Ok: so what *is* the minimum required version, and why is the 1.5
version installed on code.python.org not good enough (as you complained
about it)?

Every time this comes up, I say "we can provide version A", and then
somebody comes along saying "this is really bad, can't you provide
version A+X?". This was the case always with bzr: first, 0.11 was not
good enough, then 1.0, now 1.5. I wonder that if I install 1.10, whether
that might not be good enough anymore 6 months after it got installed.

Please understand that I don't know bazaar at all, so I have to trust
the claims that any past version that was ever in use is so bad that
it absolutely must be replaced.

> As for Mercurial, I have been told their repository layout has not
> changed since their first release and updates have been more about bug
> fixes and speed improvements.

Speed improvements we can ignore; for bug fixes, it would be good to
know how much one can go back without hitting a serious bug (e.g. one
that might break the repository).

Regards,
Martin