[Python-Dev] I would like an svn account

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Jan 3 17:40:44 CET 2009

> I don't know about others, but downloading and applying a patch doesn't
> bother me (it's actually much quicker than doing a whole new SVN checkout).

Same here. In fact, when I had to backport patches before the usage of
svnmerge.py, I would always apply the original patch multiple times,
rather than trying to use svn merge.

Integrating patches is only tedious if they don't apply cleanly anymore,
in which case I usually ask the contributor to regenerate it (which they
often can easily do as they had been tracking trunk in their own
sandboxes).

> You could clone one of the existing DCVS mirrors and open a branch on a public
> hosting service (bitbucket.org, launchpad, etc.). The annoying thing, though,
> is that it requires your co-workers to learn the DVCS in question.

We (as his co-workers) would continue to request patches. So the DVCS
better has a convenient way to generate a patch (even from multiple DVCS
commits). I think that's what (git) people call "feature branch": a
branch with the sole purpose of developing a single patch.

Regards,
Martin