[Python-Dev] I would like an svn account

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Jan 3 17:17:13 CET 2009

> Yes, that's the problem. Is it not possible to have finer permission (instead
> of boolean permission: commit or not commit)? Eg. give commit access but only
> for a file or a directory? It looks like Tarek Ziade is now allowed to
> commit, but only on distutils. I like such permission because nobody knows
> the whole Python project, it's too huge for a single brain ;-)

I like them, too - that's why I'm generally not opposed to handing out
such privileges fairly generously. In our experience, you don't need to
enforce such a restriction technically - the social enforcement (you
lose access if you are changing things you were not supposed to change)
is sufficient.

In fact, the Python repository also hosts Stackless Python, so
technically, Python committers can commit to stackless also, and vice
versa - but nobody does, of course.

There are many other people who commit only to specific files, or only
specific kinds of changes; see Misc/developers.txt for a (possibly
incomplete) list.

Regards,
Martin