[Python-Dev] I would like an svn account

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sat Jan 3 10:16:44 CET 2009

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 00:50, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> A little offtopic: it seems to me it is a flaw of svn, that it
>> encourages the model of two classes of developers, those with a commit
>> access (first class) and those without it (second class). Victor --
>> maybe you can try something like "git svn", so that you don't have to
>> use the bugtracker and wait until someone reviews the patches?
>
> I don't think that this changes anything at all. You can commit to
> your DVCS all the time, however, doing so is futile if your patches
> don't get integrated.
>
> So you will always have two classes of developers: those with write
> permissions to the trunk branch, and those without.

Nor will this ever change. I do not ever see us taking on the attitude
of a project like Pugs where they give commit privileges to anyone who
has ever written a single, good patch.

> FWIW, you can already get the Python tree through bazaar and a few
> other DVCSs.

And work is being done to eventually transition to a DVCS anyway, so
this will not be an issue forever.

>> If I
>> understood correctly, your main point is that using bugtracker for
>> committing patches is very painful (I agree).
>
> I understood differently: I thought Victor's complaint is that some
> of his patches stay uncommitted for a long time. Victor wants to
> commit small changes without review.

This is what I understood to be Victor's desire as well. Victor is
prolific enough in writing patches for Python that he has been bitten
by the fact that issues are triaged based on individual committer
priorities which can lead to patches sitting on the tracker for a
while.

-Brett