[Python-Dev] I would like an svn account

Ondrej Certik ondrej at certik.cz
Sat Jan 3 09:20:36 CET 2009

> And I hope everyone realizes that they can speak up (publicly or
> privately) about *anyone* in regards to whether they think they need
> to lose their commit privileges for personal or coding reasons. I know
> it's tough to speak out publicly about someone and their coding
> abilities which is why I am trying to rationalize this for Victor
> instead of just sitting quietly while he does or does not get
> Every time commit privileges are given out it is a leap of faith and
> sometime the leap comes up short.

I am not a core developer, but I was following this thread with interest.

A little offtopic: it seems to me it is a flaw of svn, that it
encourages the model of two classes of developers, those with a commit
access (first class) and those without it (second class). Victor --
maybe you can try something like "git svn", so that you don't have to
use the bugtracker and wait until someone reviews the patches? If I
understood correctly, your main point is that using bugtracker for
committing patches is very painful (I agree). But since patches should
be reviewed anyways, imho just using better tools that make the
workflow more fluent could solve the problem and remove the friction
of deciding if someone is good enough to get a svn commit access.

Ondrej