[Python-Dev] Challenge: Please break this! [Now with blog post]

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Feb 24 16:26:13 CET 2009

At 03:52 PM 2/24/2009 +0100, Victor Stinner wrote:
>Le Tuesday 24 February 2009 15:46:04 Andrew Dalke, vous avez écrit :
> > A goal is to use this in App Engine, yes? Which uses cgitb to report
> > errors? Which needs these restricted frame attributes to report the
> > values of variables when the error occurred?
>
>We should be able to restore the original environment. Example:

>    jail(evil_func)  # called in the jail
>    # unsafe environment with __subclasses__, f_code, etc.

Of course, you'll have to ensure that anything you do with data from
the jail is also jailed...  that callbacks run in the jail,
etc.  (This is one advantage of the RestrictedPython approach -- the
jailing of the restricted code isn't dependent on some global state;
it's wired right into the restricted code.)