[Python-Dev] Choosing a best practice solution for Python/extension modules

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 22:23:10 CET 2009

Brett Cannon wrote:
> Well, neither do I as your proposed approach below is what I do for
> warnings.

It's possible I actually had test_warnings.py open in another window
while writing that example function... ;)

As Steven said, your concerns are precisely why I'm suggesting hiding
this in a helper function - so people that aren't quite as comfortable
playing games with sys.modules can still use it to suppress particular
extension modules when writing tests. Initially for the Python
regression test suite only, but perhaps eventually in importlib if we're
happy with the way it works out for us.

Created http://bugs.python.org/issue5354 and assigned it to myself so we
don't forget about it.

Cheers,