[Python-Dev] Reviving restricted mode?

Ivan Krstić krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Mon Feb 23 04:28:21 CET 2009

On Feb 22, 2009, at 9:43 PM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> I'm not familiar with Genshi -- what is the purpose of the AST
> transformation here?

Sorry, I should have been clearer. If the only goal is to provide a
restricted bare interpreter, you can certainly just exec with a
restricted set of builtins and no __import__. Since Tav mentioned
wanting restricted execution of Genshi templates in particular (which
have a rather complicated mechanism for executing inline Python code),
I threw together a realistic, self-contained 'restricting Genshi' demo
which doesn't rely on outside restrictions, such as those provided by
GAE.

You can ignore the AST stuff; Genshi does it for its own (non-
security) purposes.

--
Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | http://radian.org