[Python-Dev] Attention Bazaar mirror users

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 00:06:19 CET 2009

2009/2/21 Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org>:

> On Feb 21, 2009, at 4:11 PM, Paul Moore wrote:
>
>> PS Just for my own information, am I correct in thinking that it is
>> *only* Bazaar in the (D)VCS world that has this problem, to any real
>> extent? I know old Mercurial clients can interact with newer servers
>> (ie, the wire protocol hasn't changed), I'm fairly sure that older
>> Subversion clients can talk to newer servers (at least, I've never
>> cared what client version I'm running). I've not heard of this type of
>> discussion around Git (but my experience is limited). But Bazaar seems
>> very prone to this "upgrade the server and the clients need to be
>> upgraded too" cycle.
>
> That's not what we're talking about.  This is a case of older clients not
> understanding a newer repository format.

Sorry, I'm confused. Isn't that what I said? Clients (who still use
the - older - version they have at the moment) needing to upgrade to
be able to interact with the public repository (server) if that
repository is upgraded to a newer version? When you say "repository"
and I say "server", are we not discussing the same thing (the Bazaar
branches hosted at code.python.org)?

Paul.