[Python-Dev] Attention Bazaar mirror users

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Feb 21 18:17:45 CET 2009

> You're ignoring the second paragraph quoted above.  I'm *not* denying
> that such environments are common.  The question is "Do developers
> *restricted to such environments* really have an impact on Python
> development to outweigh the real cost of standardizing on an older
> implementation of Bazaar to developers who would be able to use a more
> capable version?"

But that's not the question at hand. The question at hand was whether
any of the current users of the Bazaar copy of Python would suffer.

This setup was specifically arranged for developers who have no
immediate impact on Python development, so ignoring the primary target
group of the setup when discussing changes to is is, well,
counter-productive.

> Unless the Barry feels that that would be a
> risk to Bazaar's acceptability in the end.

Whether it is depends on when a DVCS gets selected. If it gets selected
after lenny+1 has been released, I see no problem with requiring version
1.12 (or whatever lenny+1 will then ship with).

> Besides, if Barry makes this experiment *now* and enough people speak
> up that it will make it difficult for them to contribute to Python,
> the Bazaar proponents can revert to an older version of Bazaar before
> a final decision is made.

I agree. Going back might require a reconversion of the subversion
repository, but that might be necessary regardless.

Regards,
Martin