[Python-Dev] IO implementation: in C and Python?

rdmurray at bitdance.com rdmurray at bitdance.com
Fri Feb 20 05:27:56 CET 2009

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 at 21:41, Benjamin Peterson wrote:
> As we prepare to merge the io-c branch, the question has come up [1]
> about the original Python implementation. Should it just be deleted in
> favor C version? The wish to maintain the two implementations together
> has been raised on the basis that Python is easier to experiment on
> and read (for other vm implementors).

I'm personally +0 on this, but I note that it is easier to read not
just for other vm implementors, but for users.  Witness the question
about the behavior of 'for' vs 'readline'.  I'd have had a much
harder time figuring out the behavior if I'd had to read the C code.

That said, I'm not personally sure if maintaining both versions is
worth it.  Real python developers should make that decision :)

--RDM